Options for protruding teeth

What are my options to fix prtoruding teeth? I’m looking for cosmetic fixes.

Anthony P. – Florida


You basically have three options when you are dealing with protruding teeth. These really are dependent on how much your teeth are protruding.

1. Traditional braces: You would wear these for two or three years. Generally, you would see an orthodonist to do braces. If your teeth are protruding a lot, you will need surgical orthodontics. While traditional braces cost around $5000 or more, surgical orthodontics are much more expensive.

2. Invisalign: These are just slightly more expensive than traditional braces. In some places they are equal ( or even less) expensive. Their benefits are great though. They really are “invisable”. Even at a conversational distance people cannot tell you’re wearing them.  Additionally, they work in almost half the time of your basic metal wire and bracket braces.

3. Porcleain Veneers: Veneers don’t actually straighten your teeth. They just make them appear straight and back further. However, if your teeth are protruding too far out, they will not be a good option for you.

The best thing to do is the see an expert cosmetic dentist. Let them examine your case and determine the best solution. In order to find an artistic cosmetic dentist I would look for someone in your area who is AACD accredited.  If there isn’t one within driving distance of your area, then go to the mynewsmile.com website and look in their list of cosmetic dentists for Florida.  Anyone they recommend will be more than qualified to help with your situation.

This blog is brought to you by Boston Cosmetic Dentist Dr. Randall Burba.

Treating a single dark tooth

My daughter had an accident that ended up with her needing a root canal on one of her upper front teeth. It has since turned a darker color and I would like to somehow get this repaired for her. She’s always had a pretty smile and this is making her very self conscious. Do you have a recommendation for fixing this one tooth or do we need to do a complete smile makeover?

Dena L.- San Francisco, CA


Yes, there is a way to fix this single tooth, but it will require an expert cosmetic dentist. Because she is happy with her smile with the exception of the darkened tooth, I don’t recommend changing her other teeth. Instead, she could have a porcelain veneer or a porcelain crown placed.

I would not recommend her current dentist for this procedure, because he didn’t know how to prevent her tooth from going dark after a root canal procedure. Instead, I would either look for someone who is accredited with the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD), or who is recommended by the mynewsmile.com website for your area. You’ll be safe with anyone of them.

This blog is brought to you by Boston Cosmetic Dentist Dr. Randall Burba.